China chic : East meets West / Valerie Steele & John S. Major1 available
GT1555 .S8 1999
- 197 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 29 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 192-195) and index.
- ch. 1. Decoding dragons: clothing and Chinese identity -- ch. 2. From foot binding to modern fashion -- ch. 3. Fashion revolution: the Maoist uniform -- ch. 4. China chic: East meets West -- ch. 5. "Our women are acting like foreigners' wives!": Western influences on Tang Dynasty women's fashion / Suzanne E. Cahill -- ch. 6. Military culture and Chinese dress in the early twentieth century / Antonia Finnane -- ch. 7. "A woman has so many parts to her body, life is very hard indeed" / Martha Huang -- ch. 8. Jazzing into modernity: high heels, platforms, and lotus shoes / Dorothy Ko -- ch. 9. Cheung Sam: issues of fashion and cultural identity / Hazel Clark -- ch. 10. Dress and the cultural revolution / Verity Wilson.
- Costume -- China -- History.
- Costume -- United States -- Chinese influences.
- East and West.
- United States -- Civilization -- Asian influences.
- Added Author
- Major, John S.
- Added Title
- East meets West
- 0300079303 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0300079311 (pbk. : alk. paper)