Yangzhou, a place in literature : the local in Chinese cultural history / edited by Roland Altenburger, Margaret B. Wan, and Vibeke Børdahl1 available
DS797.56.Y374 Y362 2015
- xvi, 510 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- text rdacontent
- unmediated rdamedia
- volume rdacarrier
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 453-479) and index.
- A collection of 20 pieces about Yangzhou, each introduced, annotated, and translated. The selections represent a broad array of styles and genres, from elite poetry to popular theater.
- Revisiting a dream in a classic late-Ming garden: Zheng Yuanxun's "Personal record of the Garden of Shadows" (Yingyuan zi ji, 1637) / Alison Hardie -- Storyteller and adviser: Wu Weiyei's "Biography of Liu Jingting" (Liu Jingting zhuan, 1647) / Rüdiger Breuer -- Society and performance in late-Ming Yangzhou: four essays from Zhang Dai's Dream reminiscences of Tao'an (Tao'an mengyi, 1670s) / Philip Kafalas -- The moral panorama of one place: Shi Chengjin's series of vignettes, "Recent stories of Yangzhou" (Yangzhou jinshi, prefaces, 1726/1729) / Roland Altenburger -- The universe in a nutshell: Wang Zhong's essay, "Dialogue about Guangling" (Guangling dui, 1787) / Marc Winter -- The golden age: depictions of life in Yangzhou in Li Dou's "The pleasure boats of Yangzhou" (Yangzhou huafang lu, (1795) / Lucie Olivová -- Building and gardening practices in eighteenth century Yangzhou: the view from Li Dou's "The pleasure boats of Yangzhou" (Yangzhou huafang lu, (1795) / Winnie Yuen Lai Chan -- Observations of a changing world: Lin Sumen's bamboo branch style songs, "Three hundred poems of Hanjiang" (Hanjiang sanbai yin, 1808) / Roland Altenburger -- Regional fiction: "Clear wind sluice" (Qingfengzha, 1819) / Margaret B. Wan -- Theater for the people in the Yangzhou region: Jiao Xun's "Peasant chats on popular local theater" (Huabu nongtan, 1819) / Colin Mackerras -- Writing about things in the nineteenth century: scholar Zhou's "Dream of Yangzhou" (Yangzhou meng, 1850s) / Antonia Finnane with Fan Xiong -- A Yangzhou novel: Hanshang Mengren's "Dream of romance" (Fengyue meng, preface, 1848) / Patrick Hanan -- Place and personality: Ling Xia's "Song of the eight eccentrics" (Yangzhou ba guai ge, ca 1897) / Michelle Matteini -- A tale of five families between empire and republic: Li Hanqiu's novel, "The tides of Guangling" (Guangling chao, 1909-1919) / Stefan Kuzay -- Food and local place: Zhu Ziqing's essay, "Speaking of Yangzhou" (Shuo Yangzhou, 1934) / Antonia Finnane -- Transformations of local theater: the Yangzhou Opera, "Taking command at age one hundred" (Bai sui gua shuai, 1952-1958) / Liu Zhen and Jiang Ji -- A critical view of the Yangzhou dream: Feng Zikai's essay, "The Yangzhou dream" (Yangzhou meng, 1958) / Sue Zhuang -- Layers of the local in Yangzhou storytelling: Wang Shaotang performs "Wu Song fights the tigers" (Wu Song da hu, 1961) / Vibeke Børdahl -- A chapter in Chinese women's history: Wei Minghua's essay, "The thin horses of Yangzhou" (Yangzhou shouma, 1983) / Antonia Finnane -- Yangzhou village theater: the play, "Pi Fifth celebrates New Year" (Pi Wu guo nian, 1999) in Wei Ren's redaction / Lindy Li Mark.
- Chinese literature -- Translations into English.
- Yangzhou (Jiangsu Sheng, China) -- History.
- Yangzhou (Jiangsu Sheng, China) -- In literature.
- Added Author
- Altenburger, Roland, editor.
- Wan, Margaret B., editor.
- Børdahl, Vibeke, editor.
- 9780824839888 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0824839889 (hardcover : alk. paper)