19 of 10
Making war, making women : femininity and duty on the American home front, 1941-1945 / Melissa A. McEuenView ebook from JSTOR. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- 1 online resource (xiv, 270 pages) : illustrations
- text txt rdacontent
- computer c rdamedia
- online resource cr rdacarrier
- Physical Medium
- polychrome. rdacc http://rdaregistry.info/termList/RDAColourContent/1003
- text file rdaft http://rdaregistry.info/termList/fileType/1002
- JSTOR DDA.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- All-American masks : creaming and coloring the wartime face -- Tender hands and average legs : shaping disparate extremities -- Pleasant aromas and good scents : cleansing the body politic -- Proper attire and streamlined silhouettes : clothing the home front figure -- Sacrifice and agreeability : cultivating right minds.
- Print version record.
- Drawing On war propaganda, popular advertising, voluminous government records, and hundreds of letters and other accounts written by women in the 1940's, Melissa A. McEuen examines how extensively women's bodies and minds became "battlegrounds" in the U.S. fight for victory in World War II.
- Women were encouraged to believe that the nation's success depended on their effortsùnot just on factory floors, but at their dressing tables, bathroom sinks, and laundry rooms. Scrutinized and sexualized in new ways, women understood that their faces, clothes, and comportment would indicate how seriously they took their responsibilities as citizens. McEuen also shows that the wartime rhetoric of freedom, democracy, and postwar opportunity coexisted uneasily with the realities of a racially stratified society. The context of war created and reinforced the desirability of whiteness, and McEuen explores how African Americans grappled with whiteness as representing the true American identity. --Book Jacket.
- Local Note
- Women -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States.
- Femininity -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Advertising -- Cosmetics -- History -- 20th century.
- Advertising -- Clothing and dress -- History -- 20th century.
- Femmes -- États-Unis -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- Guerre mondiale, 1939-1945 -- États-Unis.
- Féminité -- États-Unis -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- Cosmétiques -- Publicité -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- Vêtements -- Publicité -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE -- Women's Studies.
- HISTORY -- United States -- 20th Century.
- Advertising -- Clothing and dress. (OCoLC)fst00797583
- Advertising -- Cosmetics. (OCoLC)fst00797595
- Femininity. (OCoLC)fst00922657
- Women. (OCoLC)fst01176568
- United States. (OCoLC)fst01204155
- World War (1939-1945) (OCoLC)fst01180924
- Chronological Term
- Electronic books.
- History. (OCoLC)fst01411628
- Electronic books.
- Other Form:
- Print version: McEuen, Melissa A., 1961- Making war, making women. Athens : University of Georgia Press, ©2011 9780820329048 (DLC) 2010020412 (OCoLC)633141010
- 9780820337586 (electronic bk.)
- 0820337587 (electronic bk.)
- Standard No.