Chaos in the liberal order : the Trump presidency and international politics in the twenty-first century / edited by Robert Jervis, Francis J. Gavin, Joshua Rovner and Diane N. Labrosse ; with George FujiiView ebook from JSTOR. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- 1 online resource (xvi, 426 pages) : illustrations
- text txt rdacontent
- computer c rdamedia
- online resource cr rdacarrier
- text file
- JSTOR DDA.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Robert Jervis, Francis J. Gavin, Joshua Rovner, and Diane N. Labrosse -- Part I. Trump and international relations theory. President Trump and international relations theory / Robert Jervis -- What is international relations theory good for? / Michael N. Barnett -- Why Trump now : a third-image explanation / Randall L. Schweller -- The Donald versus "the blob" / Stephen M. Walt -- Part II. Is liberal internationalism still alive?. Has liberal internationalism been Trumped? / Joshua Busby and Jonathan Monten -- Down but not out : a liberal international American foreign policy / Stephen Chaudoin, Helen V. Milner, and Dustin Tingley -- Does structure Trump all? : a test of agency in world politics / Brian Rathbun -- Liberal internationalism, public opinion, and partisan conflict in the United States / Robert Y. Shapiro -- Part III. Whither pax Americana?. Trump against American exceptionalism : the sources of Trumpian conduct / Stephen Wertheim -- This is what nationalism looks like / Thomas W. Zeiler -- The appeal of "America first" / John A. Thompson -- The waning of the postwar order : historical reflections on 2016 and the emergence of a twenty-first-century world order / T.G. Otte -- The failed promises of 1989 and the politics of 2016 / Jonathan Sperber -- Trump's ascendancy as history / Ryan Irwin -- Assessing Trump's emerging counterterrorism policy / Daniel Byman -- The "global order" myth / Andrew J. Bacevich -- Part IV. Trump and the world. Donald Trump and NATO : historic alliance meets a-historic president / Stanley R. Sloan -- The art of the bluff : the US-Japan alliance under the Trump administration / Jennifer Lind -- Latin America : asymmetry and the problem of influence / Tom Long and Max Paul Friedman -- Historical legacies of US policy in the Middle East / James R. Stocker -- Donald Trump and the Middle East / F. Gregory Gause, III -- US-Russia relations unhinged / Robert Legvold -- The view from the Asia-Pacific : loose nukes and loose cannons / Priscilla Roberts -- The future of the Atlantic alliance under President Trump / William R. Keylor -- Part V. The language and legacy of human rights. The United States and the global human rights order / Mark Philip Bradley -- Donald Trump and the irrelevance of human rights / Samuel Moyn -- Part VI. The fourth estate, leaks, and fake news : historical perspectives. Donald Trump and the "paranoid style" in American (intellectual) politics / Leo P. Ribuffo -- Leaking about Donald Trump in the age of fake news / Sam Lebovic -- Why does Donald Trump have so much trouble with the truth? / John Schuessler -- Is Donald Trump Jimmy Carter, or is he Kaiser Wilhelm II? / Nancy Mitchell -- Aristocracy, oligarchy, and Donald Trump / Arthur Eckstein -- Part VII. Is there a trump doctrine?. Trumpism, history, and the future of US foreign relations / Frank Ninkovich.
- Print version record.
- Donald Trump's election has called into question many fundamental assumptions about politics and society. Should the forty-fifth president of the United States make us reconsider the nature and future of the global order? Collecting a wide range of perspectives from leading political scientists, historians, and international-relations scholars, Chaos in the Liberal Order explores the global trends that led to Trump's stunning victory and the impact his presidency will have on the international political landscape. Contributors situate Trump among past foreign policy upheavals and enduring models for global governance, seeking to understand how and why he departs from precedents and norms. The book considers key issues, such as what Trump means for America's role in the world; the relationship between domestic and international politics; and Trump's place in the rise of the far right worldwide. It poses challenging questions, including: Does Trump's election signal the downfall of the liberal order or unveil its resilience? What is the importance of individual leaders for the international system, and to what extent is Trump an outlier? Is there a Trump doctrine, or is America's president fundamentally impulsive and scattershot? The book considers the effects of Trump's presidency on trends in human rights, international alliances, and regional conflicts. With provocative contributions from prominent figures such as Stephen M. Walt, Andrew J. Bacevich, and Samuel Moyn, this timely collection brings much-needed expert perspectives on our tumultuous era.
- In English.
- Local Note
- Trump, Donald, 1946-
- Trump, Donald, 1946-
- Trump, Donald 1946-
- Universidad Sergio Arboleda
- United States -- Foreign relations -- 2017-2021.
- World politics -- 21st century.
- Politique mondiale -- 21e siècle.
- États-Unis -- Relations extérieures -- 2017-2021.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE -- Political Ideologies -- Conservatism & Liberalism.
- Diplomatic relations
- World politics
- United States
- Internationale Politik
- Chronological Term
- Added Author
- Jervis, Robert, 1940-2021, editor.
- Gavin, Francis J., editor.
- Rovner, Joshua, 1976- editor.
- Labrosse, Diane N., editor.
- Fujii, George, contributor.
- Added Title
- Trump presidency and international politics in the 21st century
- Other Form:
- Print version: Chaos in the liberal order. New York : Columbia University Press,  9780231188340 (DLC) 2018000801 (OCoLC)1022977135
- 9780231547789 (electronic book)
- 0231547781 (electronic book)
- 9780231188340 (hardcover)
- 023118834X (hardcover)
- 9780231188357 (paperback)
- 0231188358 (paperback)
- Standard No.
- 10.7312/jerv18834 doi