Medieval clothing and textiles. Volume 12 / edited by Robin Netherton and Gale R. Owen-CrockerView ebook from JSTOR. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- 1 online resource (xiv, 201 pages) : illustrations (some color)
- text txt rdacontent
- computer c rdamedia
- online resource cr rdacarrier
- JSTOR EBA.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- "The studies collected here range through art, artifacts, documentary text, and poetry, addressing both real and symbolic functions of dress and textiles. John Block Friedman breaks new ground with his article on clothing for pets and other animals, while Grzegorz Pac compares depictions of sacred and royal female dress and evaluates attempts to link them together. Jonathan C. Cooper describes the clothing of scholars in Scotland's three pre-Reformation universities and the effects of the Reformation upon it. Camilla Luise Dahl examines references to women's garments in probates and what they reveal about early modern fashions. Megan Cavell focuses on the treatment of textiles associated with the Holy of Holies in Old English biblical poetry. Frances Pritchard examines the iconography, heraldry, and inscriptions on a worn and repaired set of embroidered fifteenth-century orphreys to determine their origin. Finally, Thomas M. Izbicki summarizes evidence for the choice of white linen for the altar and the responsibilities of priests for keeping it clean and in good repair"--Publisher's description
- Print version record.
- The Attire of the Virgin Mary and Female Rulers in Iconographical Sources of the Ninth to Eleventh Centuries: Analogues, Interpretations, Misinterpretations -- Sails, Veils, and Tents: The Segl and Tabernacle of Old English Christ III and Exodus -- Linteamenta altaria: The Care of Altar Linens in the Medieval Church; 4 Coats, Collars, and Capes: Royal Fashions for Animals in the Early Modern Period -- A Set of Late-Fifteenth-Century Orphreys Relating to Ludovico Buonvisi, a Lucchese Merchant, and Embroidered in a London Workshop -- Academical Dress in Late Medieval and Renaissance Scotland -- Dressing the Bourgeoisie: Clothing in Probate Records of Danish Townswomen, ca. 1545-1610.
- Local Note
- Clothing and dress -- History -- Medieval, 500-1500.
- Clothing and dress -- History -- Pictorial works.
- HEALTH & FITNESS -- Beauty & Grooming.
- HISTORY -- Medieval.
- Clothing and dress. (OCoLC)fst00864680
- Clothing and dress -- Medieval. (OCoLC)fst01905501
- Chronological Term
- History. (OCoLC)fst01411628
- Pictorial works. (OCoLC)fst01423874
- Added Author
- Netherton, Robin, editor.
- Owen-Crocker, Gale R., editor.
- Added Title
- Medieval clothing and textiles, 12
- Other Form:
- Print version: Medieval clothing and textiles. Volume 12. Suffolk, England ; Rochester, New York : The Boydell Press, 2016 9781783270897 (OCoLC)958885824
- 9781782047698 (electronic bk.)
- 1782047697 (electronic bk.)