The best women's travel writing. Volume 8 : true stories from around the world / edited by Lavinia Spalding2 available
Archives Faculty Books - William R. Laurie University Archives and Special Collections
G465 .B479 2012
G465 .B479 2012
- 1st ed.
- xx, 285 pages : 1 portrait ; 21 cm
- text txt rdacontent
- unmediated n rdamedia
- volume nc rdacarrier
- Travelers' tales.
- Introduction / Lavinia Spalding -- Lost and liberated (France) / Kimberley Lovato -- The runaway (Tibet) / Ann Hood -- Bridge on the border (El Salvador/Guatemala) / Molly Beer -- Twenty years and counting (France) / Marcia DeSanctis -- Learning to pray (Afghanistan) / Angie Chuang -- Beneath the surface (USA) / Lucy McCauley -- Storming the castles (France) / Susan Orlean -- Riverdance (Laos) / Laurie Weed -- What we do after gunfire (Brazil) / Jocelyn Edelstein -- Sidecar Sally (Mexico) / Carrie Visintainer -- Taking the oars (Zambia) / Bridget Crocker -- Root-bound (Italy) / Marcy Gordon -- Of monarchs and men in Michoacán (Mexico) / Meera Subramanian -- A thousand simple steps (China) / Amber Kelly-Anderson -- The kiwi hunt (New Zealand) / Jennifer Rose Smith -- The threadbare rope (Dominican Republic) / Carol Reichert -- Climbing Vaea (Samoa) / Catherine Watson -- The international expiration date (Oman/Abu Dhabi) / Sarah Katin -- Our own apocalypse now (Vietnam) / Haley Sweetland Edwards -- I think it must be beautiful (Namibia) / Blair Braverman -- Passion and pizza (Argentina) / Layne Mosler -- Bones surfacing in the dirt (Cambodia) / Lauren Quinn -- Mare's milk, mountain bikes, meteors & mammaries (Krygyzstan) / Kirsten Koza -- Letting go on the Ganges (India) / Kristen Zibell -- Birthright (Israel) / Emily Matchar -- Spiral-bound (India) / Kate McCahill -- Meat and greet (Vietnam) / Abbie Kozolchyk -- Death and love in Kenya (Kenya) / Anena Hansen -- Dance of the spider women (Italy) / Laura Fraser -- On the Macal (Belize) / Mary Jo McConahay -- Holiday camp (England) / Martha Ezell -- Tongues and arrows (France/Spain) / Jessica Wilson.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- This title is the eighth in an annual collection of the best womens travel writing of the year. It presents stimulating, inspiring, and uplifting adventures from women who have traveled to the ends of the earth to discover new places, peoples, and facets of themselves. The common threads connecting these stories are a womans perspective and fresh, compelling storytelling to make the reader laugh, weep, wish she were there, or be glad she wasnt. The points of view and perspectives are global, and themes are as eclectic as in all of our books, including stories that encompass spiritual growth, hilarity and misadventure, high adventure, romance, solo journeys, stories of service to humanity, family travel, and encounters with exotic cuisine.
- Local Note
- Faculty (School of Letters) publication, Meera Subramanian.
- Travelers' writings.
- Voyages and travels.
- Women travelers.
- Travelers' writings. (OCoLC)fst01155719
- Voyages and travels. (OCoLC)fst01169308
- Women travelers. (OCoLC)fst01178642
- Added Author
- Subramanian, Meera. Of monarchs and men in Michoacán.
- Spalding, Lavinia. Editor.