Above sea : contemporary art, urban culture, and the fashioning of global Shanghai / Jenny LinView ebook from JSTOR. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- 1 online resource (xx, 177 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates) : illustrations
- text txt rdacontent
- computer c rdamedia
- online resource cr rdacarrier
- Rethinking art's histories
- Rethinking art's histories.
- JSTOR EBA.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Shanghai, long known as mainland China's most cosmopolitan city, is today a global cultural capital. This book offers the first in-depth examination of contemporary Shanghai-based art and design - from state-sponsored exhibitions to fashionable cultural complexes to cutting edge films and installations. Informed by years of in-situ research, the book looks beyond contemporary art's global hype to reveal the socio-political tensions accompanying Shanghai's transitions from semi-colonial capitalism to Maoist socialism to Communist Party-sponsored capitalism. Case studies reveal how Shanghai's global aesthetic constructs glamorising artifices that mask the conflicts between vying notions of foreign-influenced modernity and anti-colonialist nationalism, as well as the city's repressed socialist past and its consumerist present.
- Online resource; title from PDF title page (JSTOR, viewed December 2, 2020).
- Front matter; Cover; Title page; Copyright page; Contents; Illustrations; Preface: On naming; Acknowledgments; Notes on Chinese-to-English translations; Glossary; Introduction: Locating global Ưcontemporary art in global China; From the ruins of heaven on earth; Shanghai's art in fashion; Biennialization-as-banalization, promotion, and resistance; Installing a world city; From Shanghai to New York by way of conclusion; Epilogue: Forgotten corners; Bibliography; Index.
- Local Note
- Arts -- China -- Shanghai.
- Art and society -- China -- Shanghai.
- Shanghai (China) -- Cultural policy.
- Popular culture -- China -- Shanghai.
- Fashion -- China -- Shanghai -- History -- 20th century.
- Shanghai (China) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century.
- Arts -- Chine -- Shanghai.
- Art et société -- Chine -- Shanghai.
- Culture populaire -- Chine -- Shanghai.
- ART -- Performance.
- ART -- Reference.
- ART -- History -- Contemporary (1945- )
- Popular culture
- Manners and customs
- Art and society
- Cultural policy
- China -- Shanghai
- Chronological Term
- Other Form:
- Print version: Lin, Jenny. Above sea. Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2019 1526132605 (OCoLC)1028587284
- 9781526132611 (electronic bk.)
- 1526132613 (electronic bk.)
- 1526139049 (electronic bk.)
- 9781526139047 (electronic bk.)