Staging personhood : costuming in early Qing drama / Guojun WangNot available only show available only show available only show available only show available
PL2387 .W35 2020
- xii, 300 pages ; 23 cm
- text txt rdacontent
- unmediated n rdamedia
- volume nc rdacarrier
- Revision of author's thesis (doctoral)--Vanderbilt University (2015).
- "Throughout Chinese history, almost all the "conquest" dynasties forced Chinese people to conform to the rulers' ethnic clothing and hairstyle in the wake of the conquests. This was no different in the early Qing period, when Manchu rulers forced their style on the Han majority. However, the theater was one of the only areas of life that was not permeated by Manchu culture and where Han costumes remained. In Exile to the Stage: Costuming and Personhood in Early Qing Drama, Guojun Wang explores clothing and costumes as indices of ethnic and gender identities during the Ming-Qing transition"-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Costuming as method -- Ways to dress and ways to see -- Across genders and ethnicities -- Between family and state -- Seamless goddess or chaste lady -- From state attire to stage prop -- Epilogue: Dressing other and self.
- Chinese drama -- Qing dynasty, 1644-1912 -- History and criticism.
- Clothing and dress in literature.
- Theater -- China -- History -- 17th century.
- Theater and society -- China -- 17th century.
- Costume -- China -- History -- Ming-Qing dynasties, 1368-1912.
- Clothing and dress -- China -- History -- Ming-Qing dynasties, 1368-1912.
- Clothing and dress in literature. (OCoLC)fst01199303
- Chinese drama. (OCoLC)fst00857335
- Clothing and dress -- Ming-Qing dynasties. (OCoLC)fst01906900
- Costume -- Ming-Qing dynasties. (OCoLC)fst01906914
- Qing Dynasty (China) (OCoLC)fst01696773
- Theater. (OCoLC)fst01149217
- Theater and society. (OCoLC)fst01149315
- China. (OCoLC)fst01206073
- Chronological Term
- Criticism, interpretation, etc. (OCoLC)fst01411635
- History. (OCoLC)fst01411628
- Other Form:
- Online version: Wang, Guojun, 1982- Staging personhood. New York : Columbia University Press,  9780231549578 (DLC) 2019033436
- 9780231191906 (cloth)
- 9780231549578 (ebook)