Dictionary of Qumran Aramaic / Edward M. CookView ebook from JSTOR. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- 1 online resource
- text txt rdacontent
- computer c rdamedia
- online resource cr rdacarrier
- JSTOR DDA.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Print version record and CIP data provided by publisher.
- The Aramaic texts among the Dead Sea Scrolls are among the most important discoveries for the history of Aramaic and for the background of early Judaism and Christianity. They constitute a "missing link" between Biblical Aramaic and the later Aramaic of the targums and midrashic literature. Among them are the oldest texts we have of the Book of Enoch and Tobit, as well as the earliest Aramaic translation of a portion of Scripture, the Targum of Job. Other previously unknown texts such as the Genesis Apocryphon and the Aramaic Levi Document have opened up many new avenues of research on the literature of early Judaism, and the dialect itself is chronologically the one nearest to the origins of Christianity. Now, for the first time, there is a comprehensive dictionary of all the Aramaic texts from the 11 Qumran caves, from a noted specialist in Qumran Aramaic. It is the first dictionary in any language devoted solely to this important Aramaic corpus and contains a wealth of detail, including definitions, extensive citations of the sources, discussions of difficult passages, revised readings, and a bibliography. It will be an indispensable resource to anyone interested in the Dead Sea Scrolls, the literature of early Judaism and Christianity, and the Aramaic language.
- Local Note
- Aramaic language -- Dialects -- West Bank -- Qumran Site -- Dictionaries.
- Aramaic language -- Dictionaries -- English.
- Aramaic language -- Dialects -- West Bank -- Qumran Site.
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE STUDY -- Arabic.
- Aramaic language
- Aramaic language -- Dialects
- West Bank -- Qumran Site
- polyglot dictionaries.
- Multilingual dictionaries
- Multilingual dictionaries.
- Dictionnaires multilingues.
- Other Form:
- Print version: Cook, Edward M. Dictionary of Qumran Aramaic. Winona Lake, Indiana : Eisenbrauns, 2015 9781575063416 (DLC) 2014042515
- 9781575067193 (electronic bk.)
- 1575067196 (electronic bk.)
- 9781575063416 (hardback ; alk. paper)
- Standard No.
- 10.1515/9781575067193 doi