Migrants in medieval England, c. 500-c. 1500 / edited by W. Mark Ormrod, Joanna Story and Elizabeth M. Tyler1 available
AS122 .L5 vol.229
- xvi, 333 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- text rdacontent
- unmediated rdamedia
- volume rdacarrier
- Proceedings of the British Academy ; 229
- Proceedings of the British Academy ; 229.
- Framing Migration in England / W. Mark Ormrod, Joanna Story, and Elizabeth M. Tyler -- Isotopic and Genetic Evidence for Migration in Medieval England / Mark Jobling and Andrew Millard -- Language Contact in Early Medieval Britain: Settlement, Interaction, and Acculturation / Martin Findell and Phillip Shaw -- Identifying Migrants in Medieval England : The Possibilities and Limitations of Place-Name Evidence / Jayne Carroll -- Personal Names as Evidence for Migrants and Migration in Medieval England / Peter McClure -- Moving People, Moving Forms : Narrating Migration in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles / Elizabeth M. Tyler and George Younge -- The Archaeology of Migrants in Viking-Age and Anglo-Norman England : Process, Practice, and Performance / Dawn M. Hadley -- The Migrant in English Art : Perspectives on Influence and Agency, Julian Luxford -- Migration in Rural England in the Later Middle Ages / Christopher Dyer -- English Towns in the Later Middle Ages : The Rules and Realities of Population Mobility / Sarah Rees Jones -- The State and the Immigrant : Negotiating Nationalities in Later Medieval England / Bart Lambert and W. Mark Ormrod
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- "This is the only book on the market to provide an in-depth analysis and discussion of the theme of migration in medieval England. Its themes - the movement of people and the social and cultural effects of migration - chime strongly with current debates in the UK on immigration; the book demonstrates that movement was a constant influence on the development of the kingdom of England and the concept of Englishness."--Back cover.
- Migrations of nations -- To 1500.
- Immigrants -- England -- History.
- Ethnology -- Great Britain.
- Immigrants. (OCoLC)fst00967712
- Ethnology. (OCoLC)fst00916106
- Migrations of nations (OCoLC)fst01020775
- Great Britain. (OCoLC)fst01204623
- England. (OCoLC)fst01219920
- Migration (DE-588)4120730-0
- Zuwanderer (DE-588)4192846-5
- England (DE-588)4014770-8
- Chronological Term
- To 1500
- History (OCoLC)fst01411628
- Added Author
- Ormrod, W. M., 1957- editor.
- Story, Joanna, 1970- editor.
- Tyler, Elizabeth M., editor.
- 9780197266724 hardcover
- 019726672X hardcover