Lullabies and battle cries : music, identity and emotion among Republican parading bands in Northern Ireland / Jaime RollinsView ebook from JSTOR. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- 1 online resource (x, 255 pages)
- text txt rdacontent
- computer n rdamedia
- online resource nc rdacarrier
- Dance and performance studies ; Volume 13
- Dance and performance studies ; v. 13.
- JSTOR EBA.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Lullabies and Battle Cries; Copyright Page; Contents; List of Illustrations; Preface; Acknowledgements; List of Abbreviations; Introduction. Entering the Field; Chapter 1. Theoretical Overview; Chapter 2. Historical Background; Chapter 3. The Bands; Chapter 4. Parading Identities; Chapter 5. Defining Communities by How They Sound; Chapter 6. It Was Music That Kept Their Spirits Free; Chapter 7. Memorializing Immortality; Conclusion. The Musical Construction of Remembrance; Appendices; Bibliography; Index
- Online resource; title from digital title page (viewed on August 27, 2018).
- Set against a volatile political landscape, Irish republican culture has struggled to maintain continuity with the past, affirm legitimacy in the present, and generate a sense of community for the future. Lullabies and Battle Cries explores the relationship between music, emotion, memory, and identity in republican parading bands, with a focus on how this music continues to be utilized in a post-conflict climate. As author Jaime Rollins shows, rebel parade music provides a foundational idiom of national and republican expression, acting as a critical medium for shaping new political identities within continually shifting dynamics of republican culture.
- Local Note
- Music -- Political aspects -- Northern Ireland.
- Marching bands -- Northern Ireland.
- National characteristics, Irish.
- Musique -- Aspect politique -- Irlande du Nord.
- Ensembles de musique de marche -- Irlande du Nord.
- MUSIC -- Instruction & Study -- Theory.
- MUSIC / Ethnomusicology
- Irish. (OCoLC)fst00978902
- National characteristics, Irish. (OCoLC)fst01033448
- Marching bands. (OCoLC)fst01009088
- Music -- Political aspects. (OCoLC)fst01030414
- Northern Ireland. (OCoLC)fst01205215
- Electronic books.
- Other Form:
- Print version: Rollins, Jaime. Lullabies and battle cries. New York : Berghahn Books, 2018 9781785339219 (DLC) 2018002588
- 9781785339226 (electronic book)
- 1785339222 (electronic book)
- 9781785339219 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- 1785339214 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)