Manhua modernity : Chinese culture and the pictorial turn / John A. CrespiView open-access ebook from JSTOR. 1 available
- 1 online resource
- text txt rdacontent
- computer n rdamedia
- online resource nc rdacarrier
- JSTOR open access.
- "A Philip E. Lilienthal book".
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : manhua, magazines, modernity -- Shanghai sketch and the illustrated city -- War, rites of passage, and resistance sketch -- Beyond satire : the pictorial imagination of manhua journey to the West -- Propaganda and the pictorial : Manhua yuekan, 1950-1952.
- "From fashion sketches of smartly dressed Shanghai dandies in the 1920s, to multipanel drawings of refugee urbanites during the war against Japan, to panoramic pictures of anti-American propaganda rallies in the early 1950s, the polymorphic cartoon-style art known as manhua helped define China's modern experience. Manhua Modernity offers a richly illustrated, deeply contextualized analysis of these illustrations across the lively pages of popular pictorial magazines that entertained, informed, and mobilized a nation through a half century of political and cultural transformation. In this compelling media history, John Crespi argues that manhua must be understood in the context of the pictorial magazines that hosted them, and in turn these magazines must be seen as important mediators of the modern urban experience. Even as times changed-from interwar-era consumerism to war-time mobilization to Mao-style propaganda-the art form adapted to stay on the cutting edge of both politics and style"-- Provided by publisher.
- Description based on print version record and CIP data provided by publisher.
- Local Note
- Caricature -- China -- History -- 20th century.
- Caricatures and cartoons -- China -- History -- 20th century.
- Caricature -- Political aspects -- China -- 20th century.
- Communism and culture -- China -- History -- 20th century.
- Political culture -- China -- History -- 20th century.
- Caricature -- Chine -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- Caricatures et dessins humoristiques -- Chine -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- Caricature -- Aspect politique -- Chine -- 20e siècle.
- Communisme et culture -- Chine -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- PERFORMING ARTS / Film & Video / History & Criticism.
- Caricature. (OCoLC)fst00847525
- Caricatures and cartoons. (OCoLC)fst00847532
- Communism and culture. (OCoLC)fst00870489
- Political culture. (OCoLC)fst01069263
- China. (OCoLC)fst01206073
- Chronological Term
- Electronic books.
- Electronic books.
- History. (OCoLC)fst01411628
- Other Form:
- Print version: Crespi, John A. Manhua modernity Oakland, California : University of California Press,  9780520309104 (DLC) 2020016292
- 9780520973862 (ebook)
- 9780520309104 (paperback)