The teddy bear chronicles / by Xi Xi ; translated by Christina SandersonView ebook from JSTOR. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- 1 online resource (xv, 182 pages ): illustrations (chiefly color.
- text txt rdacontent
- computer rdamedia
- online resource rdacarrier
- Hong Kong Literature Series
- Hong Kong Literature Series.
- JSTOR DDA.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- This is a most unusual book. For several decades Xi Xi has been widely known for her award-winning poetry and fiction. This time, she has chosen to write about the teddy bears she began making in 2005, after treatment for cancer, in order to improve the mobility of her right hand. She made the bears herself from scratch, choosing some of her favourite characters from history and legend such as the Taoist philosopher Master Zhuang, the Mongol ruler Genghis Khan, and Beauty and the Beast. She also created exquisite items of clothing for them and wove a series of delightfully witty essays around them, giving her readers fascinating insights into Chinese culture, and into the ways in which Chinese clothing and fashion have evolved through the ages. This is a book for all who love literature and teddy bears.
- Translated from Chinese.
- Description based on print version record.
- Half Title -- Full Title -- Copyright -- Series Editor's Preface -- Acknowledgements -- Table of Contents -- Preface -- 1. Chinese Bears in Antique Garb -- 2. StoryBears -- 3. Fancy Dress Ball -- 4. Bear Stories -- Teddies on Tour -- Collectors' Bears -- Memorial Bear -- Q&A: On Teddies and TraditionalChinese Fashion -- Afterword -- Bear Height Measurements -- Other Works in the Series
- Local Note
- Teddy bears -- China -- Hong Kong.
- Teddy bears -- Design and construction.
- Costume -- China -- History.
- Chinese literature -- History and criticism.
- Characters and characteristics in literature.
- Ours en peluche -- Chine -- Hongkong.
- Littérature chinoise -- Histoire et critique.
- LITERARY COLLECTIONS / Essays
- Characters and characteristics in literature. (OCoLC)fst00852295
- Chinese literature. (OCoLC)fst00857595
- Costume. (OCoLC)fst00880759
- Teddy bears. (OCoLC)fst01145340
- China. (OCoLC)fst01206073
- China -- Hong Kong. (OCoLC)fst01260796
- Electronic books.
- Electronic books.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc. (OCoLC)fst01411635
- History. (OCoLC)fst01411628
- Added Author
- Sanderson, Christina, translator.
- Other Form:
- Print version: 988237185X 9789882371859 (OCoLC)1156355910
- 9789882378544 (electronic bk.)
- 9882378544 (electronic bk.)