The corset and the crinoline : an illustrated history [electronic resource] / W.B. LordInstantly available on hoopla. Cover image 1 available
- 1 online resource
- text txt rdacontent
- computer c rdamedia
- online resource cr rdacarrier
- text file rda
- Hoopla ebooks.
- Digital content provided by hoopla.
- Ever since Eve's first blush, clothes have girded, graced and transformed the female physique. Fascinating and insightful, The Corset and the Crinoline is an illustrated history of clothing's attendant underpinnings-especially those that whittled the female waist to its most slender proportions. Reproduced from a rare 1868 fashion publication, each page reveals how the use of wood, whalebone, steel, hoops, and tight laces had a gripping influence on shaping the figures of women from ancient Greece to nineteenth-century Vienna. Enlivened by excerpts from authentic letters, magazine articles, and satiric poems, over fifty exquisite black-and-white engravings highlight the wardrobes-and what was worn underneath them-of a Persian dancing girl, an ancient Egyptian woman, a Roman lady of high rank, Queen Elizabeth, Marie de Medici, a woman of the French revolutionary period, and many more. Costume designers, artists, and anyone interested in the history of fashion will be captivated!
- System Details
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Corsets -- Pictorial works.
- Crinolines -- Pictorial works.
- Clothing and dress -- History.
- Clothing and dress -- History -- Pictorial works.
- Electronic books.
- Added Author
- hoopla digital.
- 9780486138404 (electronic bk.)
- 0486138402 (electronic bk.)
- Music No.