Locating Chinese Women : Historical Mobility Between China and AustraliaView ebook from JSTOR. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- 1 online resource (289 pages)
- text txt rdacontent
- computer c rdamedia
- online resource cr rdacarrier
- Crossing Seas Ser.
- Crossing Seas Ser.
- JSTOR DDA.
- Print version record.
- This ground-breaking edited collection draws together Australian historical scholarship on Chinese women, their gendered migrations, and their mobile lives between China and Australia. It considers different aspects of women's lives, both as individuals and as the wives and daughters of immigrant men. While the number of Chinese women in Australia before 1950 was relatively small, their presence was significant and often subject to public scrutiny. Moving beyond traditional representations of women as hidden and silent, this book demonstrates that Chinese Australian women in the twentieth cent.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 255-256) and index.
- Introduction: Chinese Australian Women, Migration, and Mobility -- Kate Bagnall and Julia T. Martínez
- Part One: Gendering Chinese Australian Histories -- Reading Gender in Early Chinese Australian Newspapers -- Mei-fen Kuo -- Chinese Australian Brides, Photography, and the White Wedding -- Sophie Couchman -- The Emergence of Chinese Businesswomen in Darwin, 1910-1940 -- Natalie Fong -- Chinese Australian Women's Experiences of Migration and Mobility in White Australia -- Alanna Kamp
- Part Two: Women's Lives in China and Australia -- . Exception or Example? Ham Hop's Challenge to White Australia -- Kate Bagnall -- Missing Ruby -- Antonia Finnane -- Alice Lim Kee: Journalist, Actor, Broadcaster, and Goodwill Ambassador -- Paul Macgregor -- Mary Chong and Gwen Fong: University-Educated Chinese Australian Women -- Julia T. Martínez -- Daisy Kwok's Shanghai: Life in China before and after 1949 -- Sophie Loy-Wilson
- Local Note
- Women immigrants -- Australia -- Social conditions -- 20th century.
- Chinese -- Australia -- Social conditions -- 20th century.
- Australia -- Emigration and immigration -- History -- 20th century.
- Immigrantes -- Australie -- Conditions sociales -- 20e siècle.
- Chinois -- Australie -- Conditions sociales -- 20e siècle.
- Australie -- Émigration et immigration -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- Chinese -- Social conditions
- Emigration and immigration
- Women immigrants -- Social conditions
- Chronological Term
- Added Author
- Martínez, Julia T.
- Other Form:
- Print version: Bagnall, Kate. Locating Chinese Women. HK : Hong Kong University Press, ©2021 9789888528615
- 9789888268658 (electronic bk.)
- 9888268651 (electronic bk.)