The basics of psychotherapy : an introduction to theory and practice / by Bruce E. WampoldView ebook from JSTOR. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- Second edition.
- Electronic edition.
- 1 online resource (x, 176 pages).
- text txt rdacontent
- computer c rdamedia
- online resource cr rdacarrier
- Theories of psychotherapy series
- Theories of psychotherapy series.
- JSTOR DDA.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Introduction -- Psychotherapy theory: the historical context -- The role of theory -- Research on the effectiveness of psychotherapy -- How does psychotherapy work? -- Summary.
- "Psychotherapy is widely accepted as a legitimate and beneficial healing practice in the United States and in many other countries. This book acquaints the emerging professional with psychotherapy. It introduces the theories of psychotherapy series, and many of the monographs in the series are accompanied by videos illustrating the use of theories in action. The book sets the stage in three ways. First, it describes the historical context. Chapter 2 addresses the following questions: How did psychotherapy originate and prosper? What are the key developments and who influenced the field? How did (and does) the cultural context shape the development of psychotherapy as a healing practice? Second, Chapter 3 discusses the critical question, What role does theory play in the practice of psychotherapy? As well, the philosophy of science that forms the basis of various theories is discussed to demonstrate that determining the relative worth of various theories is problematic. Third, Chapters 4 and 5 review the research evidence. Psychotherapy is a psychology-based endeavor and, as such, rests on an empirical base to the extent possible. Psychotherapists should be knowledgeable about the relevant research and use it as appropriate to ensure that their clients benefit. Although the review in Chapters 4 and 5 is relatively brief, it addresses the following questions: Does psychotherapy work? Are some psychotherapies more effective than others? What do we know about the delivery of psychotherapy in the real world? How does psychotherapy work? Chapter 6 presents a summary and reiterates the importance of theory in practice."--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2018 APA, all rights reserved).
- Description based on online resource; title from digital title page (viewed on November 06, 2019).
- Local Note
- Psychotherapy -- History.
- Psychotherapy -- methods
- Psychotherapy -- history
- Models, Psychological
- Psychological Theory
- Psychologie -- Méthodes de simulation.
- HEALTH & FITNESS / Diseases / General.
- MEDICAL / Clinical Medicine.
- MEDICAL / Diseases.
- MEDICAL / Evidence-Based Medicine.
- MEDICAL / Internal Medicine.
- PSYCHOLOGY / Psychotherapy / General
- Other Form:
- Print version: Wampold, Bruce E., 1948- Basics of psychotherapy. Second edition. Washington, DC : American Psychological Association,  9781433830181 (DLC) 2018024615
- 9781433830198 electronic book
- 1433830191 electronic book
- 9781433830181 hardcover
- 1433830183 hardcover