Marketisation and privatisation in criminal justice / edited by Kevin Albertson, Mary Corcoran and Jake PhillipsView ebook from JSTOR. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- 1 online resource (xvii, 340 pages) : illustrations
- text txt rdacontent
- computer c rdamedia
- online resource cr rdacarrier
- JSTOR EBA.
- Online resource, title from digital title page (viewed on March 10, 2021).
- Introduction: Marketisation and Privatisation in Criminal Justice; an Overview / Kevin Albertson, Mary Corcoran and Jake Phillips -- Part 1. Introduction and Theoretical Frameworks. Market Society Utopianism in Penal Politics / Mary Corcoran ; Outcomes-Based Contracts In the UK Public Sector / Chris Fox and Kevin Albertson ; The Carceral State and the Interpenetration of Interests: Commercial, Governmental, and Civil Society Interests in Criminal Justice / James Gacek and Richard Sparks ; Understanding the Privatisation of Probation Through the Lens of Bourdieu's Field Theory / Jake Phillips ; The Progress of Marketisation: The Prison and Probation Experience / Kevin Albertson and Chris Fox -- Part 2. Experiences of Marketisation in the Public Sector. The 'Soft Power' of Marketisation: The Administrative Assembling of Irish Youth Justice Work / Katharina Swirak ; Police Outsourcing and Labour Force Vulnerability / Roxanna Dehaghani and Adam White ; Marketisation or Corporatisation? Making Sense of Private Influence in Public Policing Across Canada and the US / Kevin Walby and Randy K. Lippert ; Marketisation and Competition in Criminal Legal Aid: Implications for Access to Justice / Tom Smith and Ed Johnston ; Holding Private Prisons to Account: What Role for Controllers As 'The Eyes and Ears of the State'? / Joanna Hargreaves and Amy Ludlow ; A Flawed Revolution? Interrogating the Transforming Rehabilitation Changes in England and Wales Through the Prism of a Community Justice Court / Jill Annison, Tim Auburn, Daniel Gilling and Gisella Hanley Santos -- Part 3. Marketisation and the Voluntary Sector. Constructive Ambiguity, Market Imaginaries and the Penal Voluntary Sector in England and Wales / Mary Corcoran, Mike Maguire and Kate Williams ; Marketisation of Women's Organisations in the Criminal Justice Sector / Vickie Cooper and Maureen Mansfield ; Surviving the Revolution? The Voluntary Sector Under Transforming Rehabilitation in England and Wales / Kevin Wong and Rob Macmillan -- Part 4. Beyond Institutions: Marketisation Beyond the Criminal Justice Institution. Neoliberal Imaginaries and GPS Tracking in England and Wales / Mike Nellis ; Misery As Business: How Immigration Detention Became a Cash-Cow in Britain's Borders / Monish Bhatia and Victoria Canning ; Prison Education: A Northern European Wicked Policy Problem? / Gerry Czerniawski ; Making Local Regulation Better? Marketisation, Privatisation and the Erosion of Social Protection / Steve Tombs ; The 'Fearsome Frowning Face of the State' and Ex-Prisoners: Promoting Employment or Alienation, Anger and Perpetual Punishment? / Del Roy Fletcher -- Conclusion: What Has Been Learned / Kevin Albertson, Mary Corcoran and Jake Phillips.
- As marketisation and privatisation reshape the criminal justice system, this illuminating overview sets out their causes, scale and impacts. With case studies and economic, sociological and criminological perspectives, leading academics consider the evolving roles of public, private and voluntary sectors and possible future reforms.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local Note
- Criminal justice, Administration of.
- Corrections -- Contracting out.
- Electronic books.
- Livres numériques.
- Services correctionnels -- Impartition.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Criminology.
- Corrections -- Contracting out
- Criminal justice, Administration of
- Added Author
- Albertson, Kevin, editor.
- Corcoran, Mary, editor.
- Phillips, Jake, editor.
- Added Title
- Marketization and privatization in criminal justice
- Other Form:
- Print version: Albertson, Kevin. Marketisation and Privatisation in Criminal Justice. Bristol : Policy Press, ©2020
- 9781447346173 (electronic bk.)
- 1447346173 (electronic bk.)
- 1447345819 (paperback)
- 9781447345817 (paperback)
- 1447345703 (hardcover)
- 9781447345701 (hardcover)