Accessorizing the Body : Habits of Being I / Cristina Giorcelli and Paula Rabinowitz, editorsView ebook from Project Muse. (Unlimited users) 1 available
- 1 online resource (288 pages): illustrations
- text txt rdacontent
- computer c rdamedia
- online resource cr rdacarrier
- Book collections on Project MUSE.
- No frills, no-body, nobody / Manuela Fraire -- The cult of femininity / Micol Fontana -- Fashion's model bodies: a genealogy / Paola Colaiacomo -- Wearing the body over the dress: Sonia Delaunay's fashionable clothes / Christina Giorcelli -- Futurist accessories / Franca Zoccoli -- Coco, Zelda, Sara, Daisy and Nicole: accessories for new ways of being a woman / Martha Banta -- Precious objects: Laura Riding, her tiara, and the Petrarchan muse / Becky Peterson -- Spanish women's clothing during the long post-civil war period / Giuliana Di Febo -- The yellow star accessorized: ironic discourse in fatelessness by Imre Kertesz / Zsófia Bán -- Terra Divisa/Terra Divina: (T/E/A/R) / Maria Damon -- Black hattitude / Jeffrey C. Stewart -- Barbara Stanwyck's anklet: the other shoe / Paula Rabinowitz -- The cinematic jewel: fetishizing the goods / Vito Zagarrio -- Enchanted sandals: Italian shoes and the post-World War II international scene / Vittoria C. Caratozzolo.
- "The first in the four-part series Habits of Being, charting the social, cultural, and political expression of clothing as seen on the street and in museums, in films and literature, and in advertisements and magazines, this volume features a close-up focus on accessories, the shoe, the hat, the necklace, intimately connected to the body. These essays, most of which have appeared in the cutting-edge Italian series Abito e Identita, offer new theoretical and historical takes on the role of clothing, dress, and accessories in the construction of the modern subject. With contributions by leading scholars in art history, semiotics, literary and film studies, history and fashion studies, and with additional writings by psychoanalysts, textile artists, and fashion designers from Europe and America, readers will encounter a dizzying array of ideas about the modern body and the ways in which we dress it. From perspectives on the model body to Sonia Delaunay's designs, from Fascist-era Spanish women's prescribed ways of dressing to Futurist vests, from Barbara Stanwyck's anklet to Salvatore Ferragamo's sandals, from a poet's tiara to a worker's cap, from the scarlet letter to the yellow star: Accessorizing the Body imparts startling insights into how much the most modest accessory might reveal"--Provided by publisher.
- Description based on print version record.
- Fashion designers. (OCoLC)fst00921628
- Fashion design. (OCoLC)fst01200123
- Dress accessories. (OCoLC)fst00897974
- DESIGN -- Fashion.
- CRAFTS & HOBBIES -- Fashion.
- Couturiers (Createurs de mode) -- Histoire.
- Vêtements -- Accessoires -- Histoire.
- Fashion designers -- History.
- Fashion design -- History.
- Dress accessories -- History.
- History. (OCoLC)fst01411628
- Electronic books.
- Added Author
- Rabinowitz, Paula, editor.
- Giorcelli, Cristina, editor.
- Project Muse. distributor