Laurentia : turning points in the evolution of a continent / edited by Steven J. Whitmeyer, Michael L. Williams, Dawn A. Kellett, Basil Tikoff1 available
QE506 .L38 2023
- xvi, 804 pages : illustrations (some color), maps (some color) ; 28 cm
- text txt rdacontent
- still image sti rdacontent
- cartographic image cri rdacontent
- unmediated n rdamedia
- volume nc rdacarrier
- Memoir ; 220
- Memoir (Geological Society of America) ; 220.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- The tectonic evolution of Laurentia and the North American continent : New datasets, insights, and models / Steven J. Whitmeyer, Dawn A. Kellett, Basil Tikoff, and Michael L. Williams -- Crustal genesis and evolution of the Archean Wyoming Province : Continental growth through vertical magmatic and horizontal tectonic processes / David W. Mogk, Carol D. Frost, Paul A. Mueller, B. Ronald Frost, and Darrell J. Henry -- Sedimentary processes, provenance, and tectonic control on fluvial sandstone geochemistry during Superior craton stabilization / Rasmus Haugaard, Shawna White, Taus R.C. Jørgensen, Ben Frieman, Dean Meek, Xiaohui Zhou, Lucie Mathieu, and John Ayer -- The Neoarchean, a turning point for geodynamic and magmatic processes within the Superior craton? / Lucie Mathieu, David Mole, Zsuzsanna Tóth, Kate Rubingh, Rasmus Haugaard, Shawna White, Chong Ma, Ben Frieman, Robert Lodge, Ross Sherlock, and Bruno Lafrance -- Paleoproterozoic Earth and the transition toward modern tectonic processes : A synopsis / D. Corrigan and D. Van Rooyen -- Paleoproterozoic geology of SW Montana : Implications for the paleogeography of the Wyoming craton and for the consolidation of Laurentia / Tekla A. Harms and Julia A. Baldwin -- Rapid postorogenic cooling of the Paleoproterozoic Cape Smith foreland thrust belt and footwall Archean basement, Trans-Hudson orogen, Canada / D.R. Skipton, M.R. St-Onge, D.A. Kellett, N.L. Joyce, and S. Smith -- A tectonic context for fluctuations in late Paleoproterozoic oxygen content / C.A. Partin -- Laurentia in transition during the Mesoproterozoic : Observations and speculation on the ca. 1500-1340 Ma tectonic evolution of the southern Laurentian margin / Christopher G. Daniel, Ruth Aronoff, Aphrodite Indares, and James V. Jones III -- Circa 1.50-1.45 Ga metasedimentary rocks in southwestern Laurentia provide distinctive records of Mesoproterozoic regional orogenesis and craton interactions / James V. Jones III and Christopher G. Daniel -- Petrologic constraints on the origin of Proterozoic ferroan granites of the Laurentian margin / Carol D. Frost and B. Ronald Frost -- Linking the Pinware, Baraboo, and Picuris orogens : Recognition of a trans-Laurentian ca. 1520-1340 Ma orogenic belt / Christopher G. Daniel, Aphrodite Indares, L. Gordon Medaris Jr., Ruth Aronoff, David Malone, and Joshua Schwartz -- Late Paleoproterozoic to early Mesoproterozoic deposition of quartz arenites across southern Laurentia / L. Gordon Medaris Jr., Christopher G. Daniel, Michael F. Doe, James V. Jones III, and Joshua J. Schwartz -- Geoelectric constraints on the Precambrian assembly and architecture of southern Laurentia / Benjamin S. Murphy, Paul A. Bedrosian, and Anna Kelbert -- The late Mesoproterozoic to early Neoproterozoic Grenvillian orogeny and the assembly of Rodinia : Turning point in the tectonic evolution of Laurentia / Nicholas L. Swanson-Hysell, Toby Rivers, and Suzan van der Lee -- Potential terrane relationships between Laurentia and Amazonia during the Grenville orogenic cycle : A synthesis of the U-Pb zircon and Pb isotope records / David P. Moecher, E. Tohver, and S.D. Samson -- Slow cooling in the metamorphic cores of Grenvillian large metamorphic core complexes and the thermal signature of the Ottawan orogenic lid / Toby Rivers and Richard A. Volkert -- Geon 14 to early Geon 13 granitoid magmatism in the Grenville Province of Canada, northeastern Laurentia : Distribution, geochemical patterns, and links with an active-margin setting / Aphrodite Indares, Abdelali Moukhsil, and Pierre-Arthur Groulier -- Local rapid exhumation in long-lived Grenville orogeny / Xuefei Fan, Xu Chu, Wentao Cao, and Yi Zou -- Neoproterozoic of Laurentia / Francis A. Macdonald, W. Adolph Yonkee, Rebecca M. Flowers, and Nicholas L. Swanson-Hysell -- Pre-Pangean evolution of central southern Laurentia : Insights from zircon U/Pb geochronology, Marathon-Solitario fold-and-thrust belt, west Texas / Patricia W. Dickerson, Blaine R. Hall, Daniel F. Stockli, Lisa D. Stockli, Richard E. Hanson, C. Mark Fanning, and Paul O'Sullivan -- Macrostratigraphy of the Ediacaran System in North America / Daniel C. Segessenman and Shanan E. Peters -- The jagged western edge of Laurentia : The role of inherited rifted lithospheric structure in subsequent tectonism in the Pacific Northwest / B. Tikoff, P. Kelso, A.K. Fayon, R. Gaschnig, R.M. Russo, J. Vervoort, B. Jicha, and M.J. Kahn -- Neoproterozoic to early Paleozoic tectono-stratigraphic framework for central Idaho : Windermere Supergroup in the northern sector of the U.S. Cordillera / Daniel T. Brennan, David M. Pearson, Paul K. Link, and Jacob Milton -- Paleozoic tectonic evolution of the rifted margins of Laurentia / Cees R. van Staal and Alex Zagorevski -- Petrochronologic constraints on Paleozoic tectonics in southern New England / Ian Hillenbrand, Michael L. Williams, Michael J. Jercinovic, Matthew T. Heizler, and Daniel J. Tjapkes -- Evolution of the Bronson Hill arc and Central Maine basin, northern New Hampshire to western Maine : U-Pb zircon constraints on the timing of magmatism, sedimentation, and tectonism / J. Dykstra Eusden, Ian W. Hillenbrand, Elizabeth Folsom, Thorn Merrill, Kurt Niiler, and Audrey Wheatcroft -- Formation of the Green Mountain anticlinorium in northern Vermont at ca. 420 Ma / Evan Tam, Laura E. Webb, Cheyne Aiken, Jonathan Kim, and Keith Klepeis -- Transformation of eastern North America from compression to extension in the Permian-Triassic / Chong Ma, Willis E. Hames, David A. Foster, Wenjiao Xiao, Paul A. Mueller, and Mark G. Steltenpohl -- The Ordovician South Mayo Trough, a basin that recorded the passage of a triple junction along the Laurentian margin / Paul D. Ryan and John F. Dewey -- Paleozoic evolution of the northern Laurentian margin : Evaluating links between the Caledonian, Ellesmerian, and Cordilleran orogens / William C. McClelland, Justin V. Strauss, Jane A. Gilotti, Maurice Colpron -- The North American Cordillera during the Mesozoic to Paleogene : Selected questions and controversies / C.J. Busby, T.L. Pavlis, S.M. Roeske, and B. Tikoff -- Hit-and-run model for Cretaceous-Paleogene tectonism along the western margin of Laurentia / B. Tikoff, B.A. Housen, J.A. Maxson, E.M. Nelson, S. Trevino, and T.F. Shipley -- The Laramide orogeny : Current understanding of the structural style, timing, and spatial distribution of the classic foreland thick-skinned tectonic system / Arlo Brandon Weil and Adolph Yonkee -- Guerrero-Alisitos-Vizcaino superterrane of western Mexico and its ties to the Mexican continental margin (Gondwana and SW Laurentia) / C.J. Busby.
- "The North American continent has a rich record of the tectonic environments and processes that occur throughout much of Earth history. This Memoir focuses on 7 "turning points" that had specific and lasting impacts on Laurentian evolution : (1) The Neoarchean, characterized by cratonization ; (2) the Paleoproterozoic and the initial assembly of Laurentia ; (3) the Mesoproterozoic southern margin of Laurentia ; (4) the Midcontinent rift and the Grenville orogeny ; (5) the Neoproterozoic breakup of Rodinia ; (6) the mid-Paleozoic phases of the Appalachian-Caledonian orogen ; and (7) the Jurassic-Paleogene assembly of the North American Cordillera. The chapters in this Memoir provide syntheses of current understanding of the geologic evolution of Laurentia and North America, as well as new hypotheses for testing."-- Provided by publisher.
- Laurentia (Continent)
- Cratons -- North America.
- Orogenic belts -- North America.
- Paleogeography -- North America.
- Plate tectonics -- North America.
- Cratons. (OCoLC)fst00882288
- Orogenic belts. (OCoLC)fst01200734
- Paleogeography. (OCoLC)fst01051408
- Plate tectonics. (OCoLC)fst01066753
- Laurentia (Continent) (OCoLC)fst01715476
- North America. (OCoLC)fst01242475
- Added Author
- Whitmeyer, Steven J., editor.
- Williams, Michael L. (Michael Lloyd), editor.
- Kellett, D. A., 1979- editor.
- Tikoff, Basil, editor.
- Geological Society of America, publisher.
- Other Form:
- Online version: Laurentia Boulder, Colorado : The Geological Society of America,  9780813782201 (DLC) 2022047956
- 9780813712208 (hardcover)
- 0813712203 (hardcover)
- 9780813782201 (ebook)