Gardner's art through the ages : the Western perspective / Fred S. Kleiner1 available
Reserve - 3 Hours - Circulation Desk
N5300 .G252 2021
Course reserve information
- Sixteenth edition.
- Student edition.
- 2 volumes (xxix, 1085 pages) : illustrations (chiefly color), color maps ; 30 cm
- text txt rdacontent
- still image sti rdacontent
- unmediated n rdamedia
- volume nc rdacarrier
- Includes bibliographical references and index
- Volume I. Preface -- Introduction. What is art history? -- Chapter 1. Art in the Stone Age -- Chapter 2. Ancient Mesopotamia and Persia -- Chapter 3. Egypt from Narmer to Cleopatra -- Chapter 4. The prehistoric Aegean -- Chapter 5. Ancient Greece -- Chapter 6. The Etruscans -- Chapter 7. The Roman Empire -- Chapter 8. Late Antiquity -- Chapter 9. Byzantium -- Chapter 10. The Islamic world -- Chapter 11. Early medieval Europe -- Chapter 12. Romanesque Europe -- Chapter 13. Gothic Europe north of the Alps -- Chapter 14. Late medieval Italy -- Notes -- Glossary -- Bibliography -- Credits -- Index.
- Volume II. Preface -- Before 1300 -- Introduction. What is art history? -- Chapter 14. Late medieval Italy -- Chapter 20. Late medieval and early Renaissance Northern Europe -- Chapter 21. The Renaissance in Quattrocento Italy -- Chapter 22. Renaissance and mannerism in Cinquecento Italy -- Chapter 23. High Renaissance and mannerism in Northern Europe and Spain -- Chapter 24. The Baroque in Italy and Spain -- Chapter 25. The Baroque in Northern Europe -- Chapter 26. Rococo to Neoclassicism : The 18th century in Europe and America -- Chapter 27. Romanticism, realism, photography : Europe and America, 1800 to 1870 -- Chapter 28. Impressionism, post-Impressionism, symbolism : Europe and America, 1870 to 1900 -- Chapter 29. Modernism in Europe, 1900 to 1945 -- Chapter 30. Modernism in the United States and Mexico, 1900 to 1945 -- Chapter 31. Modernism and Postmodernism in Europe and America, 1945 to 1980 -- Chapter 32. Contemporary art worldwide -- Notes -- Glossary -- Bibliography -- Credits -- Index.
- "I take great pleasure in introducing the extensively revised and expanded 16th edition of 'Gardner's Art through the Ages : The Western Perspective', which, like the 15th edition, is a hybrid art history textbook -- the first, and still the only, introductory survey of the history of art of its kind. When Helen Gardner published the first edition of 'Art through the Ages' in 1926, she could not have imagined that nearly a century later, instructors all over the world would still be using her textbook in their classrooms. In this new edition, in addition to revising the text of every chapter to incorporate the latest research and methodological developments and dividing the former chapter on European and American art from 1900 to 1945 into two chapters, I have added several important features while retaining the basic format and scope of the previous edition. Once again, the hybrid Gardner boasts roughly 1,600 photographs, plans, and drawings, nearly all in color and reproduced according to the highest standards of clarity and color fidelity. Once again, scales accompany the photograph of every painting, statue, or other artwork discussed -- another innovative feature of the Gardner text. The scales provide students with a quick and effective way to visualize how big or small a given artwork is and its relative size compared with other objects in the same chapter and throughout the book. Also retained in this edition are the Quick-Review Captions, brief synopses of the most significant aspects of each artwork or building illustrated. Each chapter also again ends with the highly popular full-page feature called 'The Big Picture', which sets forth in bullet-point format the most important characteristics of each period or artistic movement discussed in the chapter. Feature boxes once again appear throughout the book and fall under nine broad categories, one of which is new to the 16th edition : Architectural Basics ; Materials and Techniques ; Religion and Mythology ; Art and Society ; Written Sources ; Artists on Art ; The Patron's Voice ; Problems and Solutions ; and, new to the 16th edition, A Second Opinion, in which an individual work of art that is the subject of current debate or has recently been reinterpreted is discussed. These essays underscore for students that the history of art and architecture is not a static discipline and that scholars are constantly questioning and rethinking traditional interpretations of paintings, sculptures and buildings."--adapted from Preface, pages xi-xii.
- Art -- History.
- Art -- History -- Textbooks.
- Art -- Histoire. (CaQQLa)201-0001271
- art history. (CStmoGRI)aat300054233
- Art. (OCoLC)fst00815177
- Textbooks. (OCoLC)fst01423863
- History. (OCoLC)fst01411628
- Added Author
- Kleiner, Fred S., author.
- Added Title
- Art through the ages : the Western perspective
- 9780357370384 (volume 1 : paperback)
- 0357370384 (volume 1 : paperback)
- 9780357370391 (volume 2 : paperback)
- 0357370392 (volume 2 : paperback)
- 9780357370452 (loose-leaf edition)